Monday, August 22, 2022

Resuming International Travel

Because of global restrictions on travel stemming from the pandemic, I'm only now writing about my first international trip in two years. Ironically I write this under strict quarantine conditions imposed by the Canadian Government. I won't call this "solitary confinement" as I don't want in any way to trivialize deplorable conditions political prisoners are subjected to. Let's just say, "home alone" for ten days. Why? An app and algorithm selected me for a "random, mandatory" covid test to be done  24 hours from receiving an email message at the Toronto airport after shortly landing from Manchester. I'm fully vaccinated with the addition of boosters and have no symptoms.  In fact I just cycled 175 kms with ease. More on that later.  But as I'm a big fan of public health and I just came back from the UK where there is near-zero remaining covid consciousness amidst the highly infectious Omicron strain, I  adhere with the request. The test came back positive - perhaps picking up noninfectious antigen remnants from an earlier covid exposure - but I comply fully. Here we go ...

Big Ride for Palestine

The Big Ride for Palestine was set up in 2015 by Palestine solidarity activists wanting to combine their love of cycling with an aim to raise awareness about Israel's brutal, ongoing military occupation and to raise funds for charities working in Palestine. I joined this year's Big Ride.  Money we raised goes to the Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA) specializing in assisting children traumatized by living under occupation, and The Gaza Sunbirds - a cycling club championing para-cyclists aiming to send a team to the 2024 Olympics in France. 

Getting set to head-out from Derby, UK

I cycled about 175 kms with 300 fellow cyclists - all committed to ending human rights violations in Palestine. We cycled from Derby to Stoke on July 29, Stoke to Manchester on July 30, and around the City of Manchester, July 31. Please visit their website for a deeper dive: 

https://www.thebigride4palestine.com/big-ride-summer-2022

Entering Manchester 

The overall experience was extraordinary. Coming from Canada, I was struck by the wide-spread community understanding of the need to end Israel's ongoing political violence in Palestine. The enthusiastic, heartfelt supportive greetings we received as we cycled through towns in  England was extraordinary. Sadly such impassioned embrace of human rights for Palestine is  much less evident in this country. Canada speaks of its commitment to international law and human rights, but the hypocrisy and exceptionalism with regards to Israel is glaring. 

As a cyclist who has been to Gaza on various occasions, including to conduct a seminar for mental health professionals on coping with their own psychological trauma, I chose to cycle in support of the Palestinian para-cycling team - The Gaza Sunbirds. 

Please check out my page, "Soos Cycles for Palestine" here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sooscyclesforpalestine

If you can and wish to donate, any amount is greatly appreciated.


  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment