Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Amidst Tea and Candlelight


Outside Gaza City's Al-Mataf Hotel I  wait an hour for a taxi. There is very limited fuel I am told. Eventually a car arrives and  I am dropped off at my friend's home. As there is another power cut, it is by now pitch black in the street. I grope my way towards a group of people standing in what appears to be a doorway. Mobile phones light up faces. A few of us  awkwardly shake hands and  exchange Hellos and Marhabas. I recognize no one.  "Is this where Abdel lives?" Our limited grasp of one another's language leaves me uncertain as to how to proceed. Am I in the right neighbourhood?  How do I find my way back? An uneasiness slips into my mind amidst these estranged surroundings.

I recall my recent visit at the Canadian Embassy in Cairo where the diplomat handed me  The Official Warning. "Foreign Affaires and International Trade advises against all travel to the Gaza Strip, as it continues to be affected by serious violence. There has been an increase in the level of military activity in the area recently. Attacks have occurred and have resulted in multiple casualties. The situation could deteriorate further due to inter- factional violence, along with possible military operations in the area. There is a high risk of kidnapping in the Gaza Strip and foreigners may be targeted."

Increased vigilance to my surroundings. Escalation in heart rate. What am I actually doing here? Am I in danger?

"John, are you  there?" Abdel's deep and comforting voice suddenly and  happily  lifts me out of this agony of mind.

 Soon two psychologists  and a psychiatrist are sipping tea, enjoying sweets  - by candlelight -  as the power has yet to be restored. It's natural that we begin to discuss the psychological effects of living not only under an increasingly brutal  military occupation but also the hardship associated with the punishing economic and territorial blockade that touches all aspects of  life in Gaza. 

Suddenly, as if on cue, a deafening, menacing  boom thunders by outside the living room window. The  building and it's inhabitants tremble. "Israeli fighter jets", says the psychiatrist. “They killed four people earlier today.” I am stunned speechless.

Abdel fills my cup and hands me an almond cookie. I find myself once again in the presence of suffering. Palestine is that kind of place. It doesn’t have to be.






  

1 comment:

  1. love it, casual life mixed up with terror
    Bravo Dr Soos

    ReplyDelete